Saturday, June 24, 2017

"I don't know that number..."

Miss the olden days of Caller ID, where a caller's number (with name!) would magically appear after the first ring or so?  I miss that feature when I get a call from a number that's not already in my contacts list (although I must admit that Google's Project Fi does a nice job on proving a name for some calls I receive that don't match existing numbers in my contacts list).

A friend of mine recently clued me into a cool online site for phone number lookup: https://www.twilio.com/lookup (Twilio actually provides many call-related services, lookup being just one of them)  You go the web site, plug in the phone number, and Twilio will attempt to tell you the name on the account, the carrier associated with that number, if the number is associated with a mobile or land line, the originating country for that number, and more:


It's worked pretty well for the handful of numbers I've tried so far.  And it seems they allow free lookups (at least a handful, anyway), but the paid model is a modest $0.01 per lookup (not shabby).

No comments:

Post a Comment